On behalf of the Board of Directors and Staff at Triathlon Canada, along with our community partners, we want to provide you an update to our COVID Policy for Triathlon Canada and World Triathlon led camps and competitions moving forward.
To protect the health and safety of staff and athletes in the Triathlon Canada Nation, and in recognition of the complexity of camp and competition environments, all Canadians participating in Triathlon Canada or World Triathlon -led camps or competition trips must be:
- Fully vaccinated as defined by the Government of Canada, OR
- Provide a medical exemption or be ineligible for vaccination (for reasons such as age) AND provide a current negative PCR test result every 72 hours.
Triathlon Canada encourages athletes and staff who may be eligible for selection or participation to get vaccinated now, both to support Canada’s pandemic response and to ensure they are able to participate in upcoming camps and competitions.
Triathlon Canada supports the public health officials leading Canada’s pandemic response as well as the Government of Canada’s recent announcement with regards to air travel requirements that requires the full vaccination of all travelers aged 12 and older taking flights leaving Canadian airports or travelling on VIA and Rocky Mountaineer trains prior to boarding, beginning October 30, 2021.
The health of our entire community – athletes at all levels, coaches, officials, volunteers, staff and spectators – will always be our number one priority. It is simply not practical to proceed with Triathlon Canada camps or competitions without mandatory vaccinations in place for the protection of our entire community, and as proof of vaccinations will be required by higher authorities for domestic and international travel.
I would like to take this opportunity to remind the entire triathlon community in Canada of the following:
- Please continue to follow provincial and federal public health and government orders in your respective communities;
- Triathlon Canada will lend support to provincial sport organizations, clubs and local organizing committees with the implementation of additional guidelines and best practices that make sense where they operate as a result of COVID restrictions;
- Resources are available on the Triathlon Canada web site. The resources are available free for the community to use as needed.
- Triathlon Canada encourages all participants in our community to get vaccinated to allow of us to enjoy a safe return to racing.
We all continue to have a role to play to keep our sport, and Canada going, as the pandemic continues to run its course. No contribution to our sport is small – you are all valued members of the Triathlon Canada Nation, and on behalf of our sport’s leadership group across each province, we say Thank You once again!
The flexibility and resiliency you have all shown as we navigate through continual changes to our work, training and competitive environments has been nothing less than inspiring and appreciative.
We are all in this together. And we will come through this together!
Please stay healthy. Stay safe.